Government and Politics of the Contemporary Middle East -Continuity and Change
Author: Tareq Y. Ismael, Jacqueline S. Ismael
Master eBook ISBN10 : 0203847458
Master eBook ISBN13 : 978-0-203-84745-9
No of pages : 468
eBook Price : $41.95
Originally Published : Oct 2, 2012
This exciting new book for students of Middle Eastern politics provides a comprehensive introduction to the complexities of the region, its politics and people. Combining a thematic framework for examining patterns of politics with individual chapters dedicated to specific countries, the book explores current issues within an historical context.
Presenting information in an accessible and inclusive format, the book offers:
- coverage of the historical influence of colonialism and major world powers on the shaping of the modern Middle East
- a detailed examination of the legacy of Islam
- analysis of the political and social aspects of Middle Eastern life: alienation between state and society, poverty and social inequality, ideological crises and renewal
- case studies on countries in the Northern Belt (Turkey and Iran); the Fertile Crescent (Iraq, Syria and Lebanon, Israel and Palestine); and those West and East of the Red Sea (Egypt and the members of the Gulf Cooperation Council).
- extensive pedagogical features, including original maps and detailed further reading sections, provide essential support for the reader.
A key introductory text for students of Middle Eastern politics and history at advanced undergraduate and postgraduate levels, this book will also be a significant reference for policy-makers and any motivated reader.