Behavioral Sciences || Psychological Science
A Sociocognitive Approach to Social Norms
Editor : Nicole Dubois
Illustrations : 1 line figure and 13 tables
Master eBook ISBN10 : 0-203-16748-1
Master eBook ISBN13 : 978-0-203-16748-9
No of pages : 288
eBook Price : $158
Originally Published : 7 Nov 2002
As an investigation of how behaviours are socially regulated, the study of social norms has been one of the most exciting areas of social psychology during the past decade. Norms not only affect what we do but also how we think and the judgments we make.
Beginning with an examination of the norm of internality, followed by essays which explore a range of related concepts, this collection demonstrates that the social judgment norm construct and the sociocognitive approach in which it is embedded offers a clear understanding of social thinking at school, at work and everywhere evaluative practices are concerned. Individual essays draw upon numerous laboratory studies and wide-ranging case studies in providing a comprehensive representation of not only conceptual ideas but also methodological and applied issues. Topics explored include: the concept of norm, conformity and deviance, individualism, internality normativity and evaluative knowledge and the application of such social norm theories to organizations and education.
A Sociocognitive Approach to Social Norms makes this under-exposed area of research available to an English speaking audience for the first time and as such it will be of invaluable interest to researchers and advanced students in the fields of social psychology, sociology, education and social work and also the practitioner of social evaluation and those with an interest in the practical application of these normative ideas.
Order an electronic Inspection Copy
Buy Printed Book
All Mobipocket & Microsoft eBooks are copy and print disabled. Adobe eBooks can be printed but not copied.
Table of contents : Jerald Jellison Foreword
Nicole Dubois Introduction: The Concept of Norm
1. Benoit Testé Conformity and Deviance
2. Daniel Gilibert and Laurent Cambon Paradigms of the Sociocognitive Approach
3. Stéphane Jouffre The Procedures of Measure: Questionnaires and Scales
4. Nicole Dubois, Florence Loose, Maria-Cristina Matteuci and Patrizia Selleri Sociocognitive Development: Acquisition of the Normativeness of Internality
5. Jean-Léon Beauvois Judgment Norms, Social Utility and Individualism
6. Valérie Le Floch and Alain Somat Norm of Internality, Social Utility of Internal Explanations and Cognitive Functioning
7. Jacques Py and Anne Ginet Knowledge of General Social Norms: Normative Clearsightedness
8. Cyril Tarquinio, Tamara Léonova, Philippe Robert and Gérard Guingouain Normativity and Evaluative Knowledge
9. Pascal Pansu, Pascal Bressoux and Claude Louche Theory of the Social Norm of Internality Applied to Education and Organizations
Nicole Dubois and Jean-Léon Beauvois Conclusion: Some Bases for a Sociocognitive Approach to Judgment Norms