Godwired -Religion, Ritual and Virtual Reality
Author: Rachel Wagner
Master eBook ISBN10 : 020314807X
Master eBook ISBN13 : 978-0-203-14807-5
No of pages : 272
eBook Price : $39.95
Originally Published : Mar 12, 2012
Godwired offers an engaging exploration of religious practice in the digital age. It considers how virtual experiences, like stories, games and rituals, are forms of world-building or "cosmos construction" that serve as a means of making sense of our own world. Such creative and interactive activity is, arguably, patently religious.
This book examines:
- the nature of sacred space in virtual contexts
- technology as a vehicle for sacred texts
- who we are when we go online
- what rituals have in common with games and how they work online
- what happens to community when people worship online
- how religious "worlds" and virtual "worlds" nurture similar desires.
Rachel Wagner suggests that whilst our engagement with virtual reality can be viewed as a form of religious activity, today's virtual religion marks a radical departure from traditional religious practice it is ephemeral, transient, rapid, disposable, hyper-individualized, hybrid, and in an ongoing state of flux.